Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Winery - Surry Hills

Ok - the moment I see an Enomatic at any of the new wine bars, I feel good. I feel like I'm going into a place where Wine is cared for. With the new licensing laws in NSW, every little suburban cafe is trying to become a 'wine-bar'. Someone needs to tell them that having four bottles of McWilliams Inheritance and a few 'boutique' (read cleanskins) wines doesn't make them a wine bar.
Anyway, The Winery ticks all the boxes. Of course you'll have the usual 'we were not happy with the service' and 'it's too crowded' types but I can tell you, if you like wine, this place is good. You get to taste a lot, thanks to the Enomatic system. The wine list is quite comprehensive and very well-priced. The place looks and feels great. Also, the standout for me was the fact that they seem to have covered everything - there's the tasting area, the upstairs, the downstairs and the outdoor garden. Staff are great - they really look after you and know a lot about wine (Ryan, the one that serves us does!). The only thing that's bit out of the place is the staff uniform - its bit too casual/funky for a place like this. I can understand what they're trying to do but the decor dictates much more class.
All in all: great place to hangout for wine lovers. Food compliments wine.

The Winery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment